[Bioperl-l] about pI prediction

Conrad Halling conrad.halling at bifx.org
Wed May 18 14:13:47 EDT 2005

Frank,

The usual algorithm is to calculate the charge of the protein at a given
pH, say 7.0, then iterate to converge to a pH where the calculated
charge on the protein is zero.

In BioPerl, the calculation is performed by sub _calculate_iep() in
Bio::Tools::pICalculator.

For the latest stable release of EMBOSS, the code for calculating the pI
is in file EMBOSS-2.10/nucleus/embiep.c, function emblepPhConverge().

For a more lucid explanation of how the algorithm works, see page two of
http://fields.scripps.edu/DTASelect/20010710-pI-Algorithm.pdf.

-- Conrad

--
Conrad Halling