[Bioperl-l] Re: Bio::DB::Query

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun May 1 18:41:03 EDT 2005

Carito,

sorry I didn't have time to get back to you earlier. The documentation
of many modules is certainly far from complete, and most if not all
modules could certainly benefit a lot from examples. The fact that
documentation is sparse in many cases is not due to ignorance or
oversight though, but simply due to lack of time, or in other words
lack of volunteers.

As for modifying records after they are read by SeqIO and before they
are stored in the database, the perfect mechanism for this with support
built into load_seqdatabase.pl is to write a sequence processor. Have
you read the documentation under the --pipeline option in
load_seqdatabase.pl? It references the respective modules in bioperl
that the framework is built upon which will have more documentation. I
use this every day with great success for my own projects.

As for the rest of your email, be sure to note one thing.
Bioperl/biosql/bioperl-db is open source - you didn't pay for it, did
you? - and has been written by volunteers, i.e., people who didn't stop
at complaining but went on to volunteer their unpaid time and made this
world a better place for themselves and everybody else too by making an
effort to correct the issues they found.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org