[Bioperl-l] strange error after changing to RC1.5

Elia Stupka elia at tigem.it
Sat Mar 12 05:08:08 EST 2005

>> *Every single bit* of those changes need to be rolled back from the
>> release and if nobody else has done it by then I will do so in two
>> weeks.
>
> Fine for the 1.5.1 branch, although I don't agree that this should be
> done
> on the main trunk.

I couldn't agree more with Hilmar. I am writing this comment almost as
an outsider considering my minor development involvement in bioperl
since 1.4 was rolled out. As an external observer I can assure you that
the 1.5 changes are causing a lot of trouble in the real world, many of
which you don't get on the mailing list. Quite a few people are keeping
1.4 for their day to day work and using 1.5 only when it is required
(e.g. gbrowse). Bioperl, because of its wide usage by a non-developer
crowd has most definitely become the sort of project where code
elegance and efficiency and conceptual issues are much less of a
priority than stability and usability.

Elia

---
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine
Via Pietro Castellino, 111
80131 Napoli

Tel. +39 081 6132 335
Fax. +39 081 560 98 77