[Bioperl-l] FYI: BioPerl port for OpenBSD

Andreas Kahari ak at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 16:00:44 EST 2005

List,

Just for your information, I noticed that a port of BioPerl
1.5.0 recently got committed to the OpenBSD ports tree as
"biology/bioperl".  So if there is anyone out there doing
bioinformatics on OpenBSD (I know only of myself), this might be
mildly interesting to investigate.

I haven't had the time to try the port out yet, and since I tend
to go with bioperl-live from CVS anyway it might take some time
before I do.

Something that might possibly be interesting to others is that
the port apparently patches the code to use Text::ParseWords in
place of Text::Shellwords.  The Text::ParseWords is part of the
standard Perl 5.8.6 installation on OpenBSD systems, so that
kinda makes sense, and it gets rid of a dependency.

OpenBSD users following the CURRENT development branch knows
where to go if they are intrigued...

Cheers,
Andreas

ps: I don't have anything to do with this, really.

--
Andreas Kähäri
EMBL-EBI/ensembl

1024D/C2E163CB