[Bioperl-l] Bio::SeqIO::entrezgene refseq question

Stefan Kirov skirov at utk.edu
Wed Jun 8 10:12:32 EDT 2005

Sean,
Here it is:
my $seqio = Bio::SeqIO->new(-format => 'entrezgene',
                               -file => $file,
                               -debug => 'on');
   my ($gene,$genestructure,$uncaptured) = $seqio->next_seq;

The object you need is $genestructure- it has all sequence related data-
genomic contigs,  Refseq, GenBank.
Then to get the data you ask for:
my @seobj=$struct->get_members();
foreach my $seq(@seqobj) {
    next unless (($contig->namespace eq
'refseq')&&($contig->authority=~/mrna/i)); #skip unless refseq
transcript, alternatively you can read the protein as well and put it in
a hash/array
     my @prod=$contig->annotation->get_Annotations('product');
    my $protid=$prod[0]->value if ($prod[0]);#I would expect only one
product....
}
Then if you wish you can get the whole record for the protein out of @seqobj
It is not your fault, just the docs are not there yet (any moment now
:-) )...
Let me know if this helps and if you need anything else.
Stefan