[Bioperl-l] PPM for bioperl-1.5?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 22 11:11:25 EDT 2005

I found the links for both the PPD and PPM in your older response from the
bioperl emails (I think from Jan 2005), downloaded the files to a local
directory, and installed everything through a local repository (although I
had a few slight hitches, see below).  I also installed GBrowse directly
from the GMOD site and it works as well.  I also found GD-SVG and installed
it, and I get SVG images with GBrowse just fine!

A few notes:  I had to change the location of the tar archive in the PPD
file for Bioperl and GD-SVG.  For some reason PPM kept looking for them in
the Bioperl website (where they are still MIA); I found the link in the PPD
files for both Bioperl and GD-SVG and changed them by removing the path to
the file on the site to the local file, reflecting their location in the
local repository (this is done for every link in each file), so for GD-SVG:

         <ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.8" />
         <CODEBASE HREF="http://bioperl.org/DIST/GD-SVG-0.25-ppm.tar.gz" />
     </IMPLEMENTATION>

         <ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.8" />
         <CODEBASE HREF="GD-SVG-0.25-ppm.tar.gz" />
     </IMPLEMENTATION>

Voila!

Also, the repository for Kobes (http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms) didn't
work and stopped installation of Bioperl; it is very likely due a problem
with the latest XML-SAX module (and not Bioperl), which leaves out or
doesn't initialize the file ParserDetails.ini, which may be causing some
problems when parsing repositories (although I can't see why); I kep
getting messages that ParserDetails.ini couldn't be found.  I got around it
by using the PPM repository for Randy Kobes that ActiveState lists
(http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer58 for Perl
5.8, http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer for
5.6).  Installation worked fine after that.  I also reinstalled XML-SAX
from the Kobes repository and everything now loads from the original
repository listed under the INSTALL.WIN file for Bioperl.  This may be
something we want to remember if someone comes up with a similar issue;
since your PPM package has XML-SAX listed as a dependency, it may install
the ActiveState version (the bad one) vs. the Kobes version (the good one).

Cheers

Chris