[Bioperl-l] why string overload is bad

Amir Karger akarger at CGR.Harvard.edu
Fri Jul 1 11:14:40 EDT 2005

I wouldn't say "wherever". For example, it's probably worth it for complex
number libraries, so that you don't have to use the "plus" function every
time you want to add variables. (Especially because you need to overload
+-*/% etc., so code will be MUCH more readable with the overloaded values.)

That said, IMO it should be used only in cases that are clear wins, not for
minor convenience, or even slightly increased elegance. And it's better if
the overloading is clearly defined & scoped without side effects. It sounds
like there are side effects here. String overloading is probably more side
effect-prone than number, because you do fewer complicated things with
numbers (math, change to boolean) than strings (tons of perl functions, not
to mention m// and s///).

-Amir Karger