[Bioperl-l] Re: RPMs for Bioperl and GMOD

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Fri Jan 28 12:58:58 EST 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 8:48 PM, Allen Day wrote:

> I'd appreciate it if someone with Oracle and DBD::Oracle installed
> could
> give Bioperl-DB a spin and verify that it works.

Do you mean your RPM or bioperl-db on Oracle? I'm running the latter
all the time.

> I'd also like someone with Oracle to help me make a DBD::Oracle rpm.
> Having a DBD::Oracle RPM will allow me to leave the Oracle code in
> Bioperl-DB.

If installing the supposed DBD::Oracle is then a prerequisite for being
able to install the rest, then you are taking the wrong path.
DBD::Oracle itself will depend on the Oracle client libraries being
installed which aren't even available on all platforms, aside from the
fact that installing those is beyond your control and involves
downloading about 350MB from OTN.

Frankly, I can't believe that there is no way to specify dependencies
that are optional. Why would you require all of DBD::mysql, DBD::Pg,
and DBD::Oracle if all a persons wants is mysql?? All of these will
link to compiled runtime libraries and why should a failure to install
DBD::Pg be of any concern to someone who wants to use mysql?

BTW DBD::Oracle is on CPAN. I thought that would make it easy to
construct an RPM? (There's few if any binaries though - for a reason.
Compiling DBD::Oracle may be a charm on some but involve some major
tweaking on other platforms. I've been there multiple times, I know
what I'm talking about.)

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org