[Bioperl-l] RPMs for Bioperl and GMOD

Allen Day allenday at ucla.edu
Thu Jan 27 23:48:51 EST 2005

SUMMARY:
========

I've successfully built RPMs for the GBrowse, Bioperl, and Bioperl-DB
dependency trees.  These are for CVS HEAD, not the most recent releases.
I've only tested on Fedora Core 2 and RedHat 9.  Fedora Core 2 packages
are available here:

http://sumo.genetics.ucla.edu/~allenday/flute-fc2/i386/
http://sumo.genetics.ucla.edu/~allenday/flute-fc2/noarch/

The source RPMs are available as well

http://sumo.genetics.ucla.edu/~allenday/flute-fc2/SRPMS

A few notes on what non-obvious steps needed to be taken to make this
work:

  * pruned Bioperl-DB to remove Oracle dependencies
  * pruned Gbrowse to remove AcePerl dependencies
  * pruned Bioperl to remove AcePerl dependencies
  * pruned SOAP::Lite to remove MQSeries dependencies
  * pruned Gbrowse to remove Mac OS X dependencies
  * pruned a few modules (Net::DNS, Mail::Sender, etc) to remove
    Win32::* dependencies.
  * piggybacked on existing RPMs for rrdtool, Template Toolkit,
    Module-Build, and CPANPLUS.  Thanks to Dag Wieeers [1] for these.

TODO:
=====

The Bioperl install is fully functional as far as I can tell.

I'd appreciate it if someone with Oracle and DBD::Oracle installed could
give Bioperl-DB a spin and verify that it works.

I'd also like someone with Oracle to help me make a DBD::Oracle rpm.
Having a DBD::Oracle RPM will allow me to leave the Oracle code in
Bioperl-DB.

The Gbrowse install is slightly broken, but this is mainly due to a major
rewrite that's taking place right now.  I'll make another announcement to
the GMOD list when the Gbrowse RPM works out of the box.

-Allen

[1] http://dag.wieers.com