[Bioperl-l] RE: load_seqdatabase.pl running SLOW!

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Jan 25 20:04:49 EST 2005

To be honest I've never loaded a large file into a Pg installation. The problem that I'd expect you to run into is that if you started with a fresh database the lookup queries will become slower and slower in the absence of the stats being recomputed on a frequent basis through vacuum (which the load script won't do).

I believe in more recent releases you can actually vacuum the database concurrent to write access; not sure whether 7.2.x will allow this already. You should strongly consider upgrading to at least 7.3 if not 7.4 or even 8.x. The Pg developers may not even answer questions to 7.2 anymore ...

Your obvservation that the slower machine with the later kernel would be faster leaves me puzzled. If blind-tested I would have suggested that the machine appearing faster has had the database vacuumed.

Not sure this is very helpful ...

 -hilmar