[Bioperl-l] Nearly OT question(s) - across databases

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Mon Jan 24 08:57:02 EST 2005

Elena,

By Stanford database, I assume you mean the Stanford SOURCE batch query web
page?  If that is so, then you have already used the data available via
Entrez.  SOURCE uses the unigene build from NCBI to map clones or genbank
accessions to unigene and entrez gene.  In other words, using the entrez
database will not help you get more information.  Unfortunately, it is not
at all uncommon to have ESTs that do not map to a gene_id or unigene
cluster, so those have to remain orphans.  This sounds like a
microarray-type project, and if it is, what I tend to do is to find the ESTs
that are "interesting" for followup and that are not annotated via other
means and blast those against transcript libraries like refseq and ensembl
transcripts to find the "best" match.  In some cases, this "best" match will
not be very good, but in others it will be perfectly adequate to tell you
what you are looking at.  So, in short, there are not other databases at
NCBI that are likely to be helpful and your best bet is to blast the
remaining ESTs against refseq for your genome of interest.

Sean