[Bioperl-l] [OT] ISO guide to human genomics DBs

kynn at panix.com kynn at panix.com
Mon Aug 22 15:30:10 EDT 2005

Hi!  Does anyone know of a high-level guide to the various Human
genomics databases?  Basically, I want to make my software as flexible
as possible regarding the kinds of human gene identifiers it will
recognize, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the various naming
schemes.  I'm (vaguely) aware of

  Entrez
  IPI
  Ensembl
  SwissProt/UniProt
  RefSeq
  LocusLink
  "gene symbols" (e.g. GHC1_HUMAN)
  "gi numbers"

though I'm not sure these are strictly comparable.  (Am I missing any
major ones?)

>From what I've seen at sites like http://harvester.embl.de it looks
like a huge mess, but maybe this is only a reflection of my ignorance.
Any pointers would be much appreciated!

kj