[Bioperl-l] Re: thanks for the hardwork on HOWTO changeover

Brian Osborne brian_osborne at cognia.com
Wed Aug 17 13:00:02 EDT 2005

Jason,

My pleasure. You also wrote:

>We'd of course encourage other people to help write HOWTOs about particular
aspects of Bioperl or uses of Bioperl.
>You don't need to be an ubercoder to write one.

That¹s right. There¹s certainly more to be done on these HOWTOs. For
example, you could imagine an Align HOWTO, a bioperl-db HOWTO, or a
Structure HOWTO (though the code may be lagging here). I could also see
HOWTOs on Ontology, Graph, Biblio, and so on. You could also imagine ones I
can¹t imagine, I¹m sure. There are also missing sections in the Beginners,
Feature-Annotation, and Graphics HOWTOs, to name a few.

I¹d like to make a particular appeal to those of you who would like to
contribute but aren¹t sure how. The great thing about writing these sorts of
things is that you end up knowing quite a bit about the subject matter, so
choosing a topic that interests you but that you don¹t know well is a good
thing. You delve into the modules, you write and test code, you think of new
methods, it¹s a great way to learn Bioperl .

Brian O.