[Bioperl-l] How to obtain the chromosome from an Accession Number

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Apr 13 21:07:23 EDT 2005

Ryan,

What kind of accession?  GenBank?  If so, then you can use the UCSC
genome table browser (http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTables) to
upload your list of all accessions and look them up in their mapping
tables (mRNA and EST and knownGene).  You would need to upload your
whole list to each of the possible organisms and then compile the final
list from the species-specific lists.  Of course, these tables are all
available as tab-delimited text for download from UCSC, so you could
grab whichever you like and do it on your own machine.  Note that some
accessions will not map to any chromosome of any organism and some will
map to many chromosomes/locations in the organism from which they came.

Sean