[Bioperl-l] help with remote blast

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Wed Sep 15 00:22:12 EDT 2004

Mike-

A couple of suggestions for figuring it out yourself - both of which you
may have already done.  First, on a module new to me I'll usually look
at the synopsis, description and methods to try to figure out what can
be done with this module.  For instance on your problem with reading in
a fasta file.  You'll want to use Bio::SeqIO (found here
http://doc.bioperl.org/releases/bioperl-1.4/Bio/SeqIO.html).  Looking at
the doc page for that one the synopsis a description give a good idea of
what it does, and some example script of how to do it.  But they don't
cover all that is possible.  You had a problem with the module
"guessing" incorrectly that your sequence was protein.  In the methods
you see that there is an method to set the alphabet.  Accompanying that
is usage, a one line example, returns, args, throws etc.  From that you
can deduce that if you add a line
$seqio->alphabet('dna') to the synopsis script you will force the parser
to interpret you seq as DNA.

The second suggestion is to check out script that are kept in the
examples and scripts directories of the bioperl-live CVS (found here
http://cvs.bioperl.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/bioperl-live/?cvsroot=bioperl).
You can glean alot about usage from seeing how people use even seemingly
unrelated scripts.

If you want to discuss this more, write back to the list or write me
directly.

Barry