[Bioperl-l] Help installing BioPerl

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Mon Sep 13 13:58:12 EDT 2004

They are 2 different things.  See the website and FAQ for more
information about the "core" and "run" distributions.

There may have been some issues with the dependancies of Bio::Perl and
LWP in the 1.4 release I cannot remember.

If you want to make CPAN install something, just force the install.
This will ignore the failed tests and still install the modules.

cpan>force install Bio::Perl

cpan>force install Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment::Clustalw

Setting PERL5LIB isn't that hard though and is what most people do when
they can't get CPAN to behave or if they want to work with the most
up-to-date version of the code.

% tar zxf ~/bioperl-1.4.tar.gz
% cd bioperl-1.4
% perl Makefile.PL LIB=$HOME/lib/perl
% make install

Add this to your .bashrc
export PERL5LIB=$HOME/lib/perl

An install without using CPAN. This is useful if you want to get the
bugfixes that have been released since 1.4 which you can get via CVS.

-jason