[Bioperl-l] bioperl-db performance

Alex Zelensky Alex.Zelensky at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 7 00:58:24 EDT 2004

Hi again,

Ok, I found one bottleneck which if removed significantly speeds up
species (and hence sequence) object retrieval from bioperl-db, at least
in my case (mysql 4.0.20). For the reasons I don't understand, SQL
statement in the
Bio::DB::BioSQL::mysql::SpeciesAdaptorDriver::get_classification works
about 10x faster if " ORDER BY node.left_value" is removed from it and
sorting of the classification array is done with perl (left_value has
to be included into the list of returned fields).  An even higher
speedup (from >16'' to <1'') can be achieved by replacing the complex
request with a dumb perl loop that fetches parent nodes one by one with
a simple select by primary key.

I didn't check whether this behavior is specific to mysql or the
particular versions of it that I have (4.0.16 and 4.0.20), but since
mysql is popular and 4.0.20 is the current production version, I think
it's better to fix this.

Regards,
Alex.