[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioperl-guts-l] BPlite questions

James Wasmuth james.wasmuth at ed.ac.uk
Thu Sep 2 11:29:36 EDT 2004

Jinal,

it is probably better if you use the Bio::SearchIO module. THere is a
HOWTO section: http://bioperl.org/HOWTOs/SearchIO/use.html

re; strand, it depends on the BLAST search you are performing but
something along the lines of $hsp->query->strand will return '1' for
positve frame or '-1' for negative frame.
so my

my $blast_frame = ($hsp->query->frame + 1) * $hsp->query->strand;

hth
-james

Jinal Jhaveri wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>While running BPlite for parsing a blast report, I am getting following
>warnings? What does this mean
>-------------------- WARNING ---------------------
>MSG: Query frame (-3) did not match strand of query (1)
>
>Also, how do I detect whether the query matches the target on +ve strand or
>the -ve strand? I tried to use the $hsp->strand but I think it doesn't give
>me the correct result as it doesn't tells me whether the query matches it on
>+ve or -ve strand
>

>thank you
>--Jinal

"Until man duplicates a blade of grass, nature can laugh at his so-called scientific knowledge...."
            --Thomas Edison

Blaxter Nematode Genomics Group  |
School of Biological Sciences    |
Ashworth Laboratories            | tel: +44 131 650 7403
University of Edinburgh          | web: www.nematodes.org
Edinburgh                        |
EH9 3JT                          |
UK                               |