[Bioperl-l] RE: Installing BioPerl under Mac OS X

Andrew McArdle ajm226 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 07:27:12 EDT 2004

Dear Madeleine,

Thank you very much for your valuable advice. You were right, I was trying
to install BioPerl under MacOS, but I was hampered by an insufficient
understanding of Linux, and even less knowledge of Mac OS X. I did follow
some of Steve Cannon's instructions, and they helped for some of the way.
Unfortunately, I am only running Mac OS 10.2.6, so I had to download the
XCode tools. Each obstacle I have navigated so far with regard to the
installation seems to have revealed a new problem. I did try Fink (it was
not preinstalled with Mac OS 10.2 I don't think), but maybe due to lack of
perseverance couldn't even really manage using that.

Ultimately, I decided to be antisocial and work from home, since I have a
dual-boot Windows XP/Mandrake Linux box. The BioPerl installation using CPAN
on Linux was a relative doddle, and then I installed MySQL (again very
simple) and DBI as the Perl adaptor, and everything is working fine. It
would still be nice to have the applications working on Max OS though, since
it is nicer to work in the lab, and when it comes to running scripts that
take several hours or more to complete I would rather have it on the lab
computer!

Thanks again for all the information. It may still be necessary at some
point for me to set everything up in the lab.

Andrew