[Bioperl-l] acceptable PDB/structure formats

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 14 11:22:21 EDT 2004

Hi Brian-

Good suggestion on creating a new module-- I think this may be
long-term goal, but in the immediate future (I need to do some analysis
quickly) I'll probably use a work around.  I tried to created a dummy
header in my CNS/XPLOR structure file, but I'm seeing the following
error after trying to read it:

% ./read_pdb.pl
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/sw/lib/perl5/Bio/Structure/IO/pdb.pm line 453, <GEN0> line 4268.

... and I'm not sure what's going on there.  Any clues?

I think I lean more towards your second notion that the HEADER is not
necessarily required for the structure format -- which might be
different from the actual PDB (database) format. A structure file,
consisting only of coordinates, would represent a 'barebones' file.
Many other programs/databases have individual headers:

- CNS/XPLOR (x-ray and NMR) structure files actually can have a
user-defined header with information/statistics about the structure
calculation
- MODELLER, a modeling program, creates structure files with a unique
header
- CYANA/DYANA (NMR structure calculations) also creates structure files
with a unique header
- files written from structural analysis programs such as MOLMOL or
PyMOL

... and I'm sure the list goes on and on for formats I am unfamiliar
with (AMBER, etc.).

What all of these formats do have in common, although their headers
differ, is the coordinate lines (I believe) all start with 'ATOM' -- so
it shouldn't be a problem to write a structure module to first be
compatible with all structure files, and second add
specificity/complexity/additional features for individual formats (such
as the 'PDB' format, so that information in the header if present can
be extracted).

Thanks again for the input,
Doug