[Bioperl-l] acceptable PDB/structure formats

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Oct 13 13:05:17 EDT 2004

Howdy All-

I wanted to check one more time and see if anyone has any advice about
using structure/PDB files that do not contain all the PDB-formatted
headers.  See the blurb pasted below (the error is from the following
small-liner script, where the PDB/structure file was experimentally
calculated from CNS/XPLOR, rather than downloaded from the actual 'PDB'
protein data bank):

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use Bio::Structure::IO;
use strict;
my $structio = Bio::Structure::IO->new(-format => 'pdb', -file =>
"file.pdb");
my $struc = $structio->next_structure;

BioPython (using 'from Bio.PDB import *') has no problem reading my
CNS/XPLOR structure files ... but I'd prefer to use BioPerl (since I'm
more familiar with perl vs. python, although I could look at this as an
opportunity to branching out ... but, graduation is close!)

Are structure (PDB) files from the protein data bank, with the proper
PDB formatting/headers, the only supported structure format?

Thanks,
Doug