[Bioperl-l] Installation under Mac OS X

Andrew McArdle ajm226 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 1 07:16:42 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have been using the standard BioPerl installation documentation and the
documentation which you have written to try and install BioPerl on Mac OS X
(10.2.4).

Unfortuantely I am hampered by an unfamiliarity with Macs, a general
inability to use Linux (though I do have it installed on my home computer)
and once it's installed will probably be hampered by my inability to use
Perl (though I hope my knowledge of PHP will help me a little).

If my question is foolish or answered in the documentation then I apologise
and thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I have done nothing other than use CPAN in console mode to do "install
Bundle::BioPerl". CPAN first forced me to do some configuration, for which
I just guessed. The downloads of the bundle seemed to go fine, but I am
sure lots of errors were encountered. Towards the end it complained:

"Error: Unable to locate installed Perl libraries or Perl source code.

It is recommended that you install perl in a standard location before
building extensions. Some precompiled versions of perl do not contain
these header files, so you cannot build extensions. In such a case,
please build and install your perl from a fresh perl distribution. It
usually solves this kind of problem."

It also said that make test and make install had problems.

I tried a simple sample BioPerl program and it couldn't find the BioPerl
libraries.

Next step, I followed the instructions to do "d /bioperl/" and install the
latest version. This ended in the same errors as before.

With this information are you able to point me in the right direction, or
is this insufficient. Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew