[Bioperl-l] graphing trees

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Fri Nov 5 09:03:13 EST 2004

On Nov 5, 2004, at 8:50 AM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Sean Davis wrote:

>>> Seems the most interesting right now.
>>>
>>> Actually, I currently build my tree by first computing a distance
>>> matrix from my raw data, passing it to the Algorithm-Cluster module,
>>> and building nodes from its ouput. So the most logical way would be
>>> to implement a new Bio::TreeIO::cluster module, constructing a
>>> Bio::Tree object from this output, and using Bio::TreeIO::svggraph
>>> to output my graph. Would such piece of code eventually interest
>>> bioperl maintainers ?
>>>
>>> Alternatively, if there was a way to construct the nodes list from
>>> the matrix distance directly in BioPerl, so as to bypass
>>> Algorithm-Cluster, I could also get interested. I am just effraid
>>> that with a 3000 x 3000 matrix, a pure-perl implementation of the
>>> clustering could have perfs issues.
>>>
>> Have you thought using R for the calculations/display?  If you have
>> that much data, it might be worthwhile working with it in a
>> computation environment.
> Is R usable from a perl program, and not in interactive way only ? And
> this would only be a replacement for Algorithm-Cluster, which works
> quite well (it is a wrapper around a C library), that wouldn't get me
> rid of the task of building the Bio::Tree Object manually. I was just
> asking if a clustering algorithm was available from bioperl itself.

As for what R can do, you can look at and do a search on the page for
"phylo" or something like that....

http://cran.us.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES.html

As for combining with perl, there is RSperl that is fairly complex (I
haven't gotten it to build).  There is also statistics-R
(http://search.cpan.org/~gmpassos/Statistics-R-0.02/).  Folks have used
R with 2-way pipes.  Finally, you can just use system calls to run R in
batch mode (from perl, create a script file, run R->save results, read
results).

Let me say that I have not used R for phylogenetics of any kind, but I
do use it for microarray data, etc. and find it a very nice addition to
my own toolbox, even for perl-like data manipulation.

Sean