[Bioperl-l] Help on a basic EST-genomic alignment script

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Mon Jun 28 17:32:56 EDT 2004

Just use estwise as a standalone program not from within perl.
 % estwise protein est

estwise is pretty slow so I wouldn't embark on this route unless you know
what you are doing.  Try a BLAST or FASTA route first to get likely
homologs.

I would probably start with fastx or fasty first to find likely homologs
and get a good guess about the reading frame.  fastx and fasty are
translated search algorithms (analagous blastx). From the docs

fastx3/ fasty3     Compare a DNA sequence to a protein sequence  database,
                   by  comparing  the  translated  DNA  sequence  in three
                   frames and allowing gaps and frameshifts.  fastx3  uses
                   a  simpler, faster algorithm for alignments that allows
                   frameshifts only between codons; fasty3 is  slower  but
                   produces  better alignments with poor quality sequences
                   because frameshifts are allowed within codons.

This should have come on the BioTeam installer in the fasta pkg.

-jason

--
Jason Stajich
Duke University