[Bioperl-l] Retrive the sequences from Blast report

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jul 28 20:46:29 EDT 2004

Jian,

If you have something like (from Bio::Search::Hit::HitI documentation):

    my $searchio = new Bio::SearchIO(-format => 'blast', -file =>
'result.bls');
    my $result = $searchio->next_result;
    my $hit    = $result->next_hit;

    $hit_name = $hit->name();

    $desc = $hit->description();

Depending on where you are getting your blast results, you can probably grab
the name, description, locus, or accession and use Bio::DB::Genbank to look
up the sequence.  See Bio::DB::GenBank for details.

Sean