[Bioperl-l] questions about the Bioperl installation.

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Thu Jul 8 15:04:39 EDT 2004

Jian-

First one suggestion: when you send error messages and code examples to
the list it's better if you paste the text directly into your message
rather than sending it as an attachment.  Most people don't like to open
attachments from people they don't know, and many people on this list
use Unix/Linux/OSX and may not be set up to conveniently open a Word
attachment.  (With XP, you can copy and paste from the command prompt
into the body of your mail.)

Now, about your quesiton.  You are trying to use the CPAN module to
install bioperl on Windows XP.  It may be possible to configure the CPAN
shell to work probably on Windows, but you don't want to do that for a
simple install of bioperl.  PPM which was installed when you installed
ActivePerl does the same thing much more easily.  Do the following:

Open a Command Prompt.
Type the following commands:
ppm
rep add BioPerl http://bioperl.org/DIST/
rep add uwinnipeg http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
install Bioperl-1.4

That should install all the basic stuff for you.

Barry

Jane Sun wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam:
>     I am now trying to learn the Bioperl programming for our bioinformatics projects. I tried to down load the ActivePerl-5.8.4.810 from the Perl website and installed the Activeperl succesfully in my computer.(OS windowns XP) And I can run some pl file successfully.  Then I tried to install the Bioperl too. I get some instructions on the Bioperl Intallation from your site, but it does not work. The installation always shows the error message even I use the Force Installation. Here I also attached the error message interface for your reference.I hope that I can get your professional suggestions or directions on this issue. And also could you please give me some advice on how to start the bioperl programming and where I can get some sample source code for reference?
>
>Thanks a lot in advance and hope tp get your reply soon.
>Yours sincerely
>Jian Sun

Barry Moore
Dept. of Human Genetics