[Bioperl-l] recent spams to bioperl-l

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at nildram.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 16:15:52 EST 2004

Chris,

Given the amount of spam flying around only a tiny trickle makes it to the
list. I do know that keeping it at that level requires work from you, but at
least the current spam level does not seem to bother list members. None of
the regular list members have complained. I suggest we continue being as open
as we have been, for the time being at least.

My 2 cents worth, but they are euro cents and they are stronger than US
cents. ;-)

	-Heikki

On Thursday 22 Jan 2004 13:37, Chris Dagdigian wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just wanted to apologize for the rise in spam going to bioperl-l. Our
> anti-spam filtering tools on the open-bio.org mailserver generally do a
> great job weeding out the dozens of messages per day sent to bioperl-l
> that are obvious spam, but recently there has been a huge rise in
> plaintext ASCII spam or the hash-busting spam that is nothing but nonsense.
>
> Spamassassin+MimeDefang and our Mailman spam filters can't easily
> discern the plaintext spam from regular email messages sent to the list.
>
> bioperl-l allows non-members to post to the list; this was the consensus
> behavior that bioperl members wanted the last time we took a poll.
>
> Let me know if opinions have changed. If we make the list members-only
> for posting we can significantly cut down on spam. The downside to this
> is that we (a) make more work for the list moderators and (b) we become
> 'less open'.
>
> -Chris

     _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehvaslaiho    heikki_at_ebi ac uk