[Bioperl-l] BSML?

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu at mayo.edu
Mon Jan 12 09:11:26 EST 2004

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about BSML as some sort of standard XML for Sequence data.  The BSML site lists bioperl as "Others Exploring BSML."  I went googling for further references or discussions on this, and the threads were old (couldn't find a thread that might have answered this, by Lincoln), and many results found are old web pages (2001)  I don't hear much talk about transferring data around in XML.  IBM seems to be picking up BSML (not clear why, maybe lack of anything else), does anyone have commentary on the acceptedness of BSML?  (Not looking for utility of XML in general, just commentary of BSML, or other XML standards people might like to use, GAME, for example).  GFF is lighter and seems to be used more, otherwise genbank/EMBL/DDBJ is the de facto standard?

Thanks,

-mat