[BioPerl] Re: [Bioperl-l] gff_string on an HSPI object is not Bio::DB::GFF friendly

Scott Cain cain at cshl.org
Fri Jan 9 12:22:29 EST 2004

Mark,

For representing this in GFF3, I would point you to the current version
of the spec at http://song.sourceforge.net/gff3.shtml.  About two thirds
the way down it talks about similarity data.  The important points are
these:

  - be sure to use a SO term for the type (ie, match or one of its
children)

  - escape spaces and other stuff in the ninth column

  - don't bother trying to represent data using the reserved keyword
Gap, as nothing understands how to parse it yet (I think) (unless of
course you are going to add parsing functionallity to BTGFF and BDGFF
:-)  What all this means is you need one gff line for each HSP, even
though technically, you wouldn't need to do that if you could use the
Gap keyword.

Scott