[Bioperl-l] Entrez Gene and bioperl-db

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Dec 15 03:24:35 EST 2004

On Tuesday, December 14, 2004, at 08:41  AM, Sean Davis wrote:

> If you look in the CDS section of some of the refseq entries
> (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/
> viewer.fcgi?db=nucleotide&val=56550106 as an example), you will see
> the gene ontology information there.  I honestly don't know how this
> is handled by bioperl-db...

Well if you don't do anything about it then it will sit there in
seqfeature_qualifier_value rows, where it is relatively useless (but,
hey, it's in the feature table in semi-mangled form, and hence comes in
a more or less useless format already ...).

So what I did is write a custom SequenceProcessorI (by deriving from
Bio::Seq::BaseSeqProcessor) that for every sequence parses this out of
the annotation (tags) of the CDS feature, creates Bio::Ontology::Term
instances with name and identifier set, and re-attaches the term
objects to the sequence object's annotation using
Bio::Annotation::OntologyTerm as the adaptor (so that the term is-a
Bio::AnnotationI). When the result of this gets serialized to the
database through bioperl-db,  you get rows in the term table for the
terms, and the association with the sequence (bioentry) will be in
bioentry_qualifier_value. You hook your SequenceProcessorI into the
system by using the --pipeline argument to load_seqdatabase.pl.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org