[Bioperl-l] organism restricted blast search

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Thu Aug 5 12:03:58 EDT 2004

I believe there are ways of building virtual subsets of the databases
locally with some tricks with formatdb but I don't really know them.

You can also parse your reports and lookup the GI number using the tools
in Bio::Taxonomy and Bio::DB::Taxonomy to get the species name and or
restrict hits to a particular subset of the taxonomy hierarchy.  There
were some posts in the last few months about this.  You can re-write your
report with Bio::SearchIO::Writer::TextResultWriter or HTMLResultWriter
and feed in a function which will only output a hit if it falls in a
particular domain of the taxonomy. That is a lot of shorthand as to how
program it up - if you really need something like this can point you to
more working code.

-jason

--
Jason Stajich