[Bioperl-l] SeqIO fixing: detecting if a filehandle is open for writing

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Aug 5 09:55:05 EDT 2004

Quite frankly IMNSHO if you open a file for reading and then -
unsuccessfully - try to write to the file this is not a bioperl error,
or perl error for that matter, but a programming error. Perl will be no
more verbose if you do this ... at least as far as I'm aware.

I.e., the documentation should be that if you do an operation to a file
or SeqIO handle for which you did not open it in the first place then
the behavior is undefined.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org