[Bioperl-l] on-line collaboration

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Tue Aug 3 11:57:23 EDT 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Robert Citek wrote:

> Just browsing through the archives:
>
> > Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
> > Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:10:03 +0100 (GMT)
> >
> > On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Johann Visagie wrote:
> >>  I feel that structured documents of some sort are one of the prime
> >>  deliverables of any collaboration.
> >>  Links again:
> >>  Udell article:
> >> http://software-carpentry.codesourcery.com/Groupware/report.html
> >>  WikiNG:  http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/WikiNG
> >>  STX NG:
> >> http://www.zope.org/Members/jim/StructuredTextWiki/StructuredTextNG
> >>
> >>  Sorry for the long aside, but I'm becoming more and more interested
> >> in the
> >>  whole online collaboration problem, and more convinced I should be
> >> doing
> >>  something about it.  Now, if only I had the time...  :-)
> >
> > Indeed. <ewan gets wistful> - I'd like to work on something like that
> > as
> > well (close integration with irc and possibly IP-phones as well, for
> > that
> > crucial "quick-fix" contact).
> >
> > Hmmm. I guess in my copious free time.... ;)
>
> and browsing the bioperl.org site ( http://bioperl.org/ ).
>
> Is there a wiki page?
There was, but nobody used it so we gave it up.  We are pushing for people
to write HOWTOs instead for structured documentation.

For mailing list searching:
http://search.open-bio.org/cgi-bin/mail-search.cgi (which doesn't seem to
be linked anywhere yet)

And site searching:
http://search.open-bio.org/ general site searching.

> Are there BBS like forums?
> Is there an IRC channel?

nope - if someone wants to set it up that's great but I think most of the
devs prefer to do the question answering via email.