[Bioperl-l] biosql and relationships

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Aug 2 08:28:53 EDT 2004

The bioentry_relationship table is meant for exactly this purpose
indeed.

Since bioperl doesn't have a straightforward corresponding class,
however, it is not supported through the bioperl object layer except
for Bio::ClusterI objects (e.g., Bio::Cluster::Unigene).

There's different courses you could pursue. What I'm doing in my
instance is making heavy use of SQL scripts that I run against the
database on a regular basis, and which would synthesize those
relationships based off of, for instance, dbxref-to-bioentry matches.
Instead of running sql directly, you run also wrap a perl script around
it for processing input files or things like iterative/recursive
queries. Or you could amend bioperl (and then bioperl-db) to support
this in a better fashion.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org