[Bioperl-l] RE: [Pubmednew] Problem with esearch.fcgi

Holland, Richard Richard.Holland at agresearch.co.nz
Mon Oct 6 20:58:11 EDT 2003

Hi,

Thanks for your answer regarding non-accessible accessions via
esearch.fcgi, but it doesn't quite solve my problem.

I am accessing GenBank programmatically via a set of modules called
BioPerl (http://www.bioperl.org/), specifically Bio::DB::GenBank. These
access the database on my behalf via the esearch.fcgi script. They
depend on the script returning the plain GenBank file without any HTML
markup.

The URL you sent me in response to my original question marks up the
response in HTML, and doesn't return just the plain GenBank file on its
own.

My question was why are the two scripts unable to agree on the existence
of a particular accession (XM_055766)? Surely they are accessing the
same database under the hood? Are there any plans to make esearch.fcgi
recognise these more recent accessions?

I am copying this email to the BioPerl mailing list in case somebody
there can help out too.

BioPerl people - what are the alternatives? I am having the same
problems with the EBI servers, dbfetch, and Bio::DB::EMBL, which also
does not believe that the accession XM_055766 exists (although I can see
it quite clearly using Entrez at the NCBI).

cheers,
Richard

---
Richard Holland