[Bioperl-l] ontology loader

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue May 27 17:35:04 EDT 2003

I committed an ontology loader to bioperl-db in
scripts/biosql/load_ontology.pl. Many command line arguments will be
familiar from load_seqdatabase.pl, but some are specific to ontologies,
for instance those specifying the action to be taken on obsoleted
terms. The loader loads terms, relationships, and at the end can on
demand also generate the transitive closure table for the ontology.

I tested it on SOFA and GO and it works meanwhile. Getting it to work
on GO revealed a whole series of subtle and not-so-subtle issues,
mostly caused by the dagflat parser and some of the ontology-related
modules in bioperl. I migrated all the fixes that were necessary to the
stable branch (1.2). Those fixes also considerably silenced the
ontology.t test in bioperl-db.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org