[Bioperl-l] tuning load_seqdatabase.db script in bioperl-db

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue May 27 13:01:44 EDT 2003

It actually won't (shouldn't) lookup unless you provide the --lookup switch on the command line. Was there a particular observation other than the time spent that made you think it looks up sequences (bioentries)?

I bet you're using PostgreSQL? If you are, that totally explains the behaviour, and you won't be able to fix this in code. Here's why, and what can be done about it.

	- The Pg schema defines so-called rules on every table that does look-up by unique key first before allowing an insert, because otherwise upon a UK failure the entire transaction is aborted. This was a very elegant solution to a problem the work-flow of the code has on PostgreSQL. I can dig up links into the mailing list archive to several threads discussing this issue.

	- When you insert, update, or delete large amounts of data in PostgreSQL, you need to vacuum your schema regularly, otherwise performance will degrade dramatically. Performance problems related to this are regularly reported on the Pg performance mailing list, and the usual advice is, vacuum often, up to every few minutes. Since 7.2.x you can vacuum a Pg database without it being locked (unless you vacuum full).

So, we could actually add a command-line switch that would automatically issue a vacuum analyze after every so many records if the driver is Pg. What about that?

	-hilmar