[Bioperl-l] BioSQL and Bioperl-db inching towards release

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Fri May 23 10:36:21 EDT 2003

I got the Oracle version of the biosql schema fully migrated, at least
as far as I can tell from here. I'm going to commit the new version
some time today. There will also be a sql*plus migration script from
pre-Singapore to the current version that supposedly keeps your data
intact (be sure to read the disclaimer though).

This means we're getting ready to release Biosql 1.0, possibly as early
:) as next week. If anyone sees any problems with the current schema
that he/she thinks should be corrected before this release, please
speak up now. I guess I should make an effort and generate an updated
ERD before release; the dated ones are confusing wrt the current
schema. If there is consensus I'll put out a release candidate early
next week.

Bioperl-db should be working against the mysql, PostgreSQL, and Oracle
versions (once I've committed that one). The major deficiency here is
POD documentation of the modules, specifically updating old modules,
and adding/updating the SYNOPSIS sections. I guess a programmer's guide
would also be helpful. For the next weeks to come I'm unfortunately not
in a position to be able to spend the time it would require to bring
the POD documentation up to speed. Would anyone else care to help out?
What is generally people's take on how good the documentation should be
before we release this? Maybe not care too much and just go ahead to
have something officially blessed that can be downloaded?

Jason, with respect to the marker database in bioperl-db, what is your
vote on keeping it in the distribution? The problem is that the schema
is MySQL-specific, so if someone wants biosql on Pg or Oracle you still
have to set up Mysql in order to make all tests pass. An option could
be to check the driver in the markerdb-related tests and skip
everything if it's not mysql.

The next feature I'm going to add to biosql is a table for expression
data that basically resembles the data cube with various dimensions
(roughly, bioentry, term [quantitation type], term [sample
annotation]). No LIMS info (yet) other than sample annotation as far as
it fits the term table. In my view, this would be a post-1.0 thing. Do
people agree?

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org