[Bioperl-l] bioperl and Perl

Bob Freeman bob_freeman at hms.harvard.edu
Tue May 20 16:49:26 EDT 2003

Line,

If you already have perl & the dependent libraries for bioperl
installed (e.g. gd, expat), the easiest and lest time consuming issue
would be to use Perl v5.6, the version installed w/ Apple's Developer
Tools (Dec '02). Installing 5.8 involves recompiling any
user-installed perl modules and associated libraries as v5.8 is
binary incompatible with previous versions. This would include any
modules downloaded through Fink. I just spent at least six hours last
weekend (re)installing v5.8, fink, fink commander, gd, expat, Apple's
X11, X11 SDK, etc. Of course, if you have a day to kill and a good
high-speed connection...

Bob