[Bioperl-l] Re: POD GOD

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Thu May 15 15:01:51 EDT 2003

Jason,

Most of the problems are simply having whitespace in wrong places.
I've posted a few  recommendations over over the years so maybe they
could be collected somewhere. I'll have a look and will put something
together.

Rather than trying to force style, I think it is better to allow commits
of works in progress and make it easy to check for errors. The scripts
in the maintenance directory are for that. Anyone can
run them, and start resolving the problems.

For example, anyone working with bioperl-pipeline code could, and
someone should, run:

cd .../core/maintanence
pod.pl -d ../../pipeline/ -b
pod.pl -d ../../pipeline/

The scripts could be taken further to do other things. One thing
in my mind was that since SYNOPSIS section should be runnable, lets lift
them from modules and see if the syntax is right by trying to compile
them (e.g. perl -c /tmp/synopsis_tmp.pl).

	-Heikki

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 14:44, Jason Stajich wrote:
> Heikki - I know you going in there and scrubbing the POD clean - can you
> perhaps post some guidelines on the website somewhere (somehow - chris?)
>
> Also - we could eventually setup cvs commits to only allow if certain
> conditions are met - one might be passing a POD check - in the same way
> one could require that a valid open bug # be referenced when committing on
> a stable branch.  This might be extreme overkill and a pain so I wouldn't
> really want to enforce it, however if we can make running a pod clean test
> easy and fast for people it can be as much a requirement as passing tests
> before committing...
>
> -jason
> --
> Jason Stajich
> Duke University
> jason at cgt.mc.duke.edu
     _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehvaslaiho    heikki_at_ebi ac uk