[Bioperl-l] Slow restriction digestion

anthony.underwood at hpa.org.uk anthony.underwood at hpa.org.uk
Mon May 12 18:02:34 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I'm trying to list all the MseI sites (recognition site TTAA)  in a 4
megabase genome, using the Bio::Tools::RestrictionEnzyme module.
This works but takes a VERY long time. Is there a way of speeding this up?.
I realise it maybe a perl string searching problem- since searching long
strings in perl tends to be slow and when I've written perl code to do the
same without Bio::Perl it is also very slow. Just wondered if there were any
neat tricks?

Thanks,

Anthony

Dr Anthony Underwood
Bioinformatics Unit
Central Public Health Laboratory
Health Protection Agency
61 Colindale Avenue
London
NW9 5HT
t:    0208 2004400 ext. 3618
f:    0208 3583138
e: anthony.underwood at hpa.org.uk

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is
confidential
and intended solely and for the attention and use of the named
addressee(s).
It may not be disclosed to any other person without the express
authority of
the HPA, or the intended recipient, or both. If you are not the
intended
recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this
message or
any part of it.

For information on how to send data to the HPA in encrypted form via
E.Mail, visit www.HPA.org.uk.

This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept for computer
viruses, but please re-sweep any attachments before opening or saving.

HTTP://www.HPA.org.uk