[Bioperl-l] Taxonomy and get_taxaid

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Wed May 7 15:00:39 EDT 2003

Jason, I noticed you are answering bioperl mails, too.

I am mailing you a copy directly so that you do not spend
time on answering to this one, too.

You can comment on my mail, of course.  ;-)

	-Heikki

Anthony,

The main problem in your script is that get_Taxonomy_Node() does not
take a hash as an argument but a scalar (a number).

Also, taxon 'Salmonella' is a genus, not a species, so you can not
store it in bioperl object Bio::Species. The get_Taxonomy_Node method
returns you a hash reference. Ideally there should be a bioperl taxon
object and its subclass species, one of which is returned. (Anybody want
to clean the bioperl classes to reflect this?)

This version of your script should get you going:

use Bio::DB::Taxonomy;
use Data::Dumper;

my $db=new Bio::DB::Taxonomy(-verbose=>1);
#my $taxaid=$db->get_taxaid("Salmonella typhimurium"); #try this, too
my $taxaid=$db->get_taxaid("Salmonella");
my $species=$db->get_Taxonomy_Node($taxaid);

print Dumper $species;

	-Heikki