[Bioperl-l] misleading error messages...

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Wed May 7 10:41:43 EDT 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Alok Saldanha wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed additional external packages, such as IO::String,
> after installing bioperl, and it's lead to confusing error messages.
> For instance,
>
> perl -e 'use IO::String'
>
> runs fine, but I'm still getting stuff like:
>
> perl test1.pl
> Your system does not have IO::String installed so the DB retrieval
> method is not available at /Library/Perl/Bio/Perl.pm line 466
>          Bio::Perl::get_sequence('swissprot', 'ROA1_HUMAN') called at
> test1.pl line 6

So the error message is misleading in the tutorial.  You should see
warnings about a whole lot more modules when you run perl Makefile.PL as
is described in the README/INSTALL.

You in fact have not installed HTTP::Request::Common as the msg below
states.  I am submitting as a bug at http://bugzilla.bioperl.org so that
Peter or someone will fix the tutorial docs.