[Bioperl-l] BioGraphics problem

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 31 16:00:11 EST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Andrew M. Hynes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Please could someone help me with a configuration problem linked with
> BioPerl-1.2.  Upon installation with CPAN module I get a failure with
> BioGraphics test 2.  A force successfully installs BioPerl, but graphics
> fail.  I think that this is a problem with my X windows config rather
> than BioPerl, but any pointers to docs or man pages would be greatly
> appreciated.  My system is a Linux box running RedHat 7.2.  When I run
> render.pl from the Bio::Graphics doc page I get...

The test failing is almost certainly not something to worry about; the Bio
Graphics tests generate a binary file which is sadly very sensitive to
system and perl flavours. Probably we should drop this test in the future,
though it is nice to test.

>   Xlib: connection to ":1.0" refused by server
>   Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>   display: Unable to connect to X server (:1.0).

This means your X client program (render.pl, probably calling out to xv)
can't contact your display (the x server). Try running a simple x client
program like xterm - you should get the same error.

use the DISPLAY environment variable to reset the X server and/or find a
local unix person to show you how to do this in your environment - this is
not a bioperl bug...