[Bioperl-l] parent <-> subject etc

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Mar 25 01:35:03 EST 2003

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 11:31  PM, Chris Mungall wrote:

> Sorry for the tetchy tone of that last email

That's alright, I asked for it. I vented, you vented. Time to go back
to normal :)

I guess we're taking a different approach here, namely a purely applied
one. We built those modules bottom-up (hence the "engine" first),
trying to have something functional quickly, and the overall design as
simple as possible. I deliberately hoped that others (e.g. you) would
sanity check and weigh in to prevent it from becoming simpler than
necessary. So, I didn't actually want to be the only driver, which I
ended up as though.

I still think the current status is not that bad. What I wanted to
achieve with the overhaul that I started is not only to make it biosql
compatible, but also to get an API out into 1.2.1 that can be further
built upon instead of having to obsolete it in half a year. I'd
appreciate your review/comment on this question, but I understand if
you can't afford the time. Maybe since it's simply so young the
necessity to scrap the API down the road is inevitable anyway as we
learn more lessons.

As for the terminology, you're clearly right. Unless someone wants to
keep the existing parent/child naming, I'll change that to
subj/pred/obj, with undocumented aliases parent/child. Ewan, I'm afraid
this better goes into 1.2.1. ETA tomorrow or Wednesday.

<digression to="biosql">
Quite honestly though, I'm not sure why your arguments wouldn't also
apply to bioentry and seqfeature relationships - shouldn't we rename
parent/child there too?
</digression>

Thanks for the pointers, I appreciate that. I was trying to get away
with being ignorant, but probably that's not going to work.

> - I don't mean to sound
> unappreciative of all the great stuff you & the rest of GNF have done.
>
> I'd be interested in discussing some extensions to the ontology modules
> for dealing with some of the things I mentioned at the end. Given that
> my
> email response rate is rather poor and we're both on the west coast
> not a
> million miles from each other, what about meeting up to discuss future
> plans for the ontology modules?

I'd be glad to. You raise some good points about how frame or DL based
ontologies would fit into the current model, and frankly I don't know.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org