[Bioperl-l] Is there a way to manually install Bundle::BioPerl

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.mc.duke.edu
Mon Mar 24 19:36:14 EST 2003

You can provide the cpan shell with a make arguments, specifically
LIB=$HOME/lib/perl which will allow you to install modules in a private
directory.

cpan> o conf makepl_arg LIB=$HOME/lib/perl
will be temporary for the session, I don't remember how to make it
permanent - although you can set it during the CPAN configuration, just
blow away your .cpan directory and you should get asked about config
options again.

Also from the CPAN perldoc
       5)  I am not root, how can I install a module in a per-
           sonal directory?

           You will most probably like something like this:

             o conf makepl_arg "LIB=~/myperl/lib \
                               INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/myperl/man/man1 \
                               INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/myperl/man/man3"
             install Sybase::Sybperl

           You can make this setting permanent like all `o conf'
           settings with `o conf commit'.

           You will have to add ~/myperl/man to the MANPATH envi-
           ronment variable and also tell your perl programs to
           look into ~/myperl/lib, e.g. by including

             use lib "$ENV{HOME}/myperl/lib";

           or setting the PERL5LIB environment variable.

           Another thing you should bear in mind is that the
           UNINST parameter should never be set if you are not
           root.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, John Dayton wrote:

> Hi,I have been bother by this problem for long time
> and I will appreciate a lot if someone may help me
> out.
>
> Since I don't have root permission on my computer,so I
> can't use Bundle::BioPerl CPAN bundle to automatically
> fectch and install the necessary modules for bioperl
> need.
>
> I have tremendous trouble when trying to getting each
> individual modules needed by bioperl(e.g. IO::string)
> and install it to my private space.Although I have
> accordingly change the directory in my program,it
> always shows that IO::string is not installed.
>

> Can anyone give me any suggestion about how I can use
> CPAN bundle to automatically installed all modules
> into my private space OR how I can get those modules
> work individually?

Make sure the your private directory is available to perl and added
through the env variable PERL5LIB.  You can check this by running
perl -V

If your specific directory where the modules are installed do not show up
then it won't work.