[Bioperl-l] parent <-> subject etc

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Mon Mar 24 13:19:14 EST 2003

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 12:55  PM, Chris Mungall wrote:

> surely the onus is on you to
> justify divergence from both the entire ontology community & bioSQL?

So let me vent some frustration here.

1) We (GNF) have been driving forward the ontology support in bioperl
since September last year. This was the first time ever we ventured
into ontologies, and we were well aware that an "entire ontology
community" had long existed before, but apparently the motivation to
drive ontology support in bioperl was minor to not existent in that
community. I have repeatedly bugged the "ontology community" to please
weigh in and weigh in early, help, discuss, debate. Search the mailing
list archives for the result.

2) The currently "divergent" terminology used in bioperl was the one
that after hours of discussion came out as most understandable to us,
us being at that time entirely new to ontologies. subj/pred/obj was
just incomprehensible, like it or not. When I overhauled the ontology
modules, and, Chris, when we were in Singapore, there were plenty of
pledges I made and plenty of opportunities to chime in and provide
insight from the "entire ontology community". No-one of that community
apparently even bothered to help ensure that the bioperl ontology
terminologies are sensible on the background of the domain knowledge
too.

3) As for biosql, term relationships to me are no different to feature
and bioentry relationships. For feature and bioentry relationships we
use parent/child, and everyone seems to be alright with this.

Bottom line is, I said before that I'm willing to change it according
to community input, but the onus if there is any is clearly on the
"entire ontology community" to provide their insight and help, and to
provide that before the last minute, and to continue providing it.
Letting the lay people march ahead and then asking them for
justification why they marched into that evidently stupid direction is
not a very productive way to get things done and get them done right.

Thank you.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org