[Bioperl-l] undef

Brian Osborne brian_osborne at cognia.com
Wed Mar 12 15:40:47 EST 2003

Aaron,

No, I don't think my idea of using 'undef' is a good one, I see what
MakeMaker is doing now. Currently the Makefile has:

makedoc :: doc/makedoc.PL
<some stuff>
        $(PERLRUNINST) doc/makedoc.PL makedoc

But with 'undef' it is:

              :: doc/makedoc.PL
<some stuff>
        $(PERLRUNINST) doc/makedoc.PL makedoc

And this didn't execute makedoc.PL when I ran 'make'.

Your idea makes most sense if makedoc.PL actually does something with its
arguments. Your proposal would create something like:

makedoc :: doc/makedoc.PL
<some stuff>
        $(PERLRUNINST) doc/makedoc.PL biodatabases.pod bioperl.pod
biodesign.pod

I know you know that, I'm being explicit here. So instead of makedoc.PL
using File::Find we could ask it to use @ARGV, etc. Presumably there will
never be many *pod documents. The beauty of File::Find, as you suggested,
was that it could be used on all *pm files, that would be lost.

Brian O.