[Bioperl-l] Using bioperl to blast against "Homo sapiens genomiccontig sequences," not nr

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu at mayo.edu
Tue Mar 11 08:28:47 EST 2003

Hi,

I am not sure if this is right, but I think that you answered your own question without realizing it.  The base URL for the RemoteBlast program is

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/Blast.cgi.  There are separate blast pages for the human genome, at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genome/seq/page.cgi?F=HsBlast.html&&ORG=Hs

I don't think you can use the databases from the human genome page (second link) with the first, which is what you discovered (if anyone can verify that it would be great)

Following this first link brings you to the basic blast page, (for me it was a protein-protein page).  I flipped to the nucleotide page (link at the top of the page, sure you have seen it), and looked at available db's.  The closest I can come so far is the chromosome db, with an entrez limit of Homo Sapiens (link at bottom, I am sure it will be mangled by delivery)

What I don't know, is what is in the chromosome, except for what it says
"chromosome Searches Complete Genomes, Complete Chromosome, or contigs form the NCBI Reference Sequence project"

I am not sure if that is what you want, or if you can use entrez limits to further filter that to just contigs, etc.  You can at least limit it to homo-sapiens with an entrez limit.  If qblast can do it, then RemoteBlast can, just a question of really understanding the main blast page and all it's parameters, and I don't really know that information very well.

blastn on chromosome db, with Homo-Sapiens limit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/Blast.cgi?ALIGNMENTS=50&ALIGNMENT_VIEW=Pairwise&AUTO_FORMAT=Semiauto&CLIENT=web&DATABASE=chromosome&DESCRIPTIONS=100&ENTREZ_QUERY=Homo+sapiens+[ORGN]&EXPECT=10&FILTER=L&FORMAT_BLOCK_ON_RESPAGE=None&FORMAT_ENTREZ_QUERY=(none)&FORMAT_OBJECT=Alignment&FORMAT_TYPE=HTML&LAYOUT=TwoWindows&NCBI_GI=on&PAGE=Nucleotides&PROGRAM=blastn&SERVICE=plain&SET_DEFAULTS=Yes&SET_DEFAULTS.x=26&SET_DEFAULTS.y=6&SHOW_LINKOUT=on&SHOW_OVERVIEW=on&WORD_SIZE=11&END_OF_HTTPGET=Yes

HTH,

-Mat