[Bioperl-l] parsing blast result: how to get query info?

Marc Logghe Marc.Logghe at devgen.com
Tue Mar 4 17:24:20 EST 2003

> Thank you for the reply and Jason for the informative page. I am
> wondering if the page is incorporated into some of the
> modules, so that it
> can be accessed using perldoc. Currently, there is no obvious
> way for me
> to know what methods are associated with a certain object.

If you have web access you can find that info here:
http://doc.bioperl.org/releases/bioperl-1.2/
Or, alternatively when you have found out to which class your returned
object belongs (ref, Data::Dumper) you can use this little script from the
command line 'methods My::Perl::Module':
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
# $Id: methods,v 1.2 2002/12/16 03:36:46 marcl Exp $
# Script to display the available methods of a Perl module
use strict;
use Class::Inspector;
use Getopt::Long;

my $PRIVATE = '';

GetOptions(
    'private'   => \$PRIVATE,
  )
  && @ARGV
  or print <<USAGE and exit;
$0 [--private -p] class
prints a list of the available public/private methods of 'class'
  --private -p : private methods
USAGE

my $class = $ARGV[-1];
eval "require $class";
if ($@)
{
  print "class '$class' not found\n";
}
else
{
  print join ("\n", sort @{Class::Inspector->methods($class,'full', $PRIVATE
? 'private' : 'public')}),
              "\n";
}

Something else: actually I only wanted to reply with a htdig link to an
earlier post but I can't find anything back about bioperl. Is is broke ? (I
mean, when you perform a search with e.g. the keyword 'bioperl', and you end
up with biojava top hits that does not make sense, does it ?)
Regards
Marc